Slide background

Prescriptive Authority FAQ


Effective July 15th 2020, House Bill 135 takes effect in Kentucky, which allows prescriptive authority for Physician Assistants for Schedule III through V controlled substances provided that certain criteria are met beforehand.

  • The Physician Assistant (PA) must apply for and receive approval from the Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure to obtain prescriptive authority for Schedule III-V controlled substances.
  • A PA must have 7.5 hours of CME, approved by the Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure, relating to controlled substance diversion, pain management, addiction disorders, use of the electronic system for monitoring controlled substances (KASPER), or any combination of two or more of these subjects prior to applying for approval from the KBML. A PA must get this CME every 2 years. A full list of approved CME can be found at
  • A PA must have practiced for one year prior to submitting their application to the Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure.
  • A PA may not dispense controlled substances but can order and administer in an in-patient setting to the extent delegated by their supervising physician.
  • PAs must also obtain a Controlled Substance Registration Certificate through the United States Drug Enforcement Administration and register with KASPER.

The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has a registration category specifically for PAs, NPs and others (listed as “midlevel practitioners”) who are authorized to prescribe controlled medications by state law or regulation. PAs who prescribe controlled substances must register with the DEA to obtain a registration number. What follows are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) and resources regarding DEA registrations as applied to the new Kentucky laws and regulations that allow PAs to prescribe these medications.

Q: When can I start to write for controlled medications?

July 15th is the date in which the new legislation allowing PAs to write for controlled substances goes into action. But, before prescribing controlled substances you must apply to the KBML and get approval, apply and receive your DEA number and also register with KASPER.

Q: What do I need to do so that I can write controlled medications?
  1. You must obtain 7.5 hours of CME education regarding controlled substance diversion, pain management, addiction disorders, use of the electronic system for monitoring controlled substances established in KRS 218A.202, or any combination of two (2) or more of these subjects.
  2. Fill out and submit the KBML Physician Assistant Supplemental Application for Prescriptive Authority For Controlled Substances (this can be found on the KBML website). Your proof of CME hours will need to be submitted with this.
  3. You will receive a letter from KBML stating you are approved. Once you have this letter you will need to apply for your DEA number at the DEA website.
  4. After receiving your DEA number you will be eligible to register with the KASPER system. You can see KAPA’s website for more information on this.
  5. Once registered with KAPSER you will be able to start writing III, IV, and V controlled substances.
Q: What does it mean that the CME must be “HB1 approved”

In 2012 House Bill 1 was passed that set in place certain requirements for prescribers of controlled substances. In order for the CME to qualify under Kentucky statute, it must be eapproved by the Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure as in compliance with that law. A current list of approved courses can be found at

Q: How do I submit the KBML Supplemental Application?

You can either mail, fax or email the application. The application has the appropriate address, email and fax number on it. The application is free to submit.

Q: Do I need to update my supervisory agreement?

No, the supplemental application will be all you need.

Q: What is the estimated turnaround time for approval from the KBML after an application has been sent?

Per KBML, they will attempt to send your approval letter ASAP. They do not see this being more than 2 weeks and hope to get the letter out within one week.

Q: Why do I have to obtain 7.5 hours of CME education regarding controlled substance diversion, pain management, addiction disorders, use of the electronic system for monitoring controlled substances established in KRS 218A.202?

Statute KRS 218A.205 states that a provider must have 7.5% of their required CME hours in these certain CME subjects. As PAs we must obtain 100 CME hours every 2 years, so that is why we must obtain 7.5 hours every 2 years.

Q: What controlled medications can a PA prescribe?

Schedule III, IV and V medications.

Q: What are the restrictions on prescribing of these medications?

Prescriptions for Schedule III controlled substances as defined by KRS 218A.080, as well as benzodiazepines and Carisoprodol, issued by a Physician Assistant are limited to a 30 day supply with no refills.

Prescriptions for Schedule IV or Schedule V controlled substances are limited to the original prescription and refills not to exceed 6 months.

Q: Can I prescribe Buprenorphine?

You can prescribe Buprenorphine once you obtain your waiver/MAT training and also if your Supervising Physician also prescribes Buprenorphine.

Q: What is MAT training?

MAT training is mandated by the Federal Government for prescribing of Buprenorphine. You must obtain 24 hours of specialized training to prescribe Buprenorphine.

Q: If I have a DEA license from another state, do I need to apply to KBML for prescriptive authority in KY? Do I need to apply for an additional DEA license if I want to prescribe in KY?

Yes, you must apply to KBML to prescribe controlled substances in KY. If you plan to practice in KY only, then you can contact DEA's Registration and Program Support Section at 1-800-882-9539 or request the change online at If you are going to practice in multiple states then you must have a DEA License for each state.

Q: How often do I need to renew my KBML approval and DEA license?

DEA: This license will need to be renewed every 3 years.
KBML: This will need to be updated every 2 years with your licensure.

Q: How do I apply for a DEA Registration?

First you must complete the supplemental application for prescriptive authority with the Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure, after receiving your letter confirming as successful application you can apply one of two ways:

  • By requesting a paper application via snail mail from a DEA field office or by telephoning the Registration Section in DEA’s Headquarters office at 1-800-882-9539. See the Directory area of the DEA’s website here for the office nearest to you. Completed paper applications, should be mailed to:

    Drug Enforcement Administration
    Registration Section/ODR
    P.O. Box 2639
    Springfield, VA 22152-2639
Q: Who can I contact to determine if my application for a DEA registration has been processed?

For registration support contact:

  • DEA @ 1-800-882-9539 (from 8:30am – 5:50pm EST) -OR- the
  • DEA Field Office nearest you
Q: Why is a DEA registration so expensive?

DEA is statutorily mandated to recover the full cost of its Diversion Control Program through the fees it collects from DEA registrants.


Effective July 15th 2020, Kentucky physician assistants authorized to prescribe controlled substances must register to use the KASPER system as required by KRS 218A.202. To obtain a KASPER account, physician assistants must have authorization from the Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure for controlled substance prescriptive authority, a Kentucky DEA registration and a driver’s license. Follow the steps below.

Step 1. Create a Kentucky Online Gateway (KOG) account

You may already have a KOG account if you have used the Cabinet’s secure portal to access other services such EDRS (Electronic Death Registry System), Vital Statistics or Benefind. If so, go to Step 2 below.

  • If not, go to and create a “Citizen or Business Partner” account. Remember your KOG user name (email) and password! They will be the only login information needed to access KASPER.
  • After submitting your KOG information you will receive a KOG account activation email. You must activate your KOG account within 4 hours of receipt of the activation email.
  • If you need assistance, please contact the KOG Help Desk at (502) 564-0104, extension 2 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Step 2. Create your KASPER account application

  • Sign in to your KOG account, click on All Apps and search (by the letter K) for the Kentucky All Schedule Prescription Electronic Reporting and click the Enroll link to go to the Account Request Onboarding screen. Do not enter any information in the KASPER User Name/Password fields.
  • Click on the Request a KASPER Account link at the bottom of the screen and follow the instructions to create your KASPER account application. Please make sure you select the Account Type of Mid-Level Practitioner rather than Prescriber.
  • If you need assistance, please contact the KASPER Help Desk at (502) 564-2703 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

For helpful tips on using KASPER, authorizing delegates or reviewing your prescribing history (Reverse KASPER) visit the KASPER public web site.

Kentucky Academy of Physician Assistants
1024 Capital Center Drive, Suite 205, Frankfort, KY 40601
Phone: 859-977-7452

Sign in to your account