Slide background


You are eligible to take the PANRE for recertification if you are in the fifth or sixth year of the PA-C certification maintenance cycle. If you are in your sixth year, don't forget that you have two attempts to pass the recertification exam and you must wait 90 days between exam dates - so don't wait until the last minute to take PANRE!

For more information visit


You must submit an online application and $350 payment to register for PANRE. You may schedule your exam anytime (depending on testing center availability) within the 180-day timeframe established for you to take the exam based on the successful submission of all required materials to NCCPA. The four-hour PANRE exam includes 240 multiple-choice questions administered in four blocks of 60 questions with 60 minutes to complete each block. There is a total of 45 minutes allotted for breaks between blocks and you will be responsible for managing your break time. You will have 15 minutes to complete the PANRE tutorial.Before registering for PANRE, be sure to review the policies and procedures.

When registering for PANRE, please consider the following requirements:

  • You may only take PANRE once in any 90-day period, and you may only take PANRE twice in your fifth year and twice in your sixth year.
  • You have up to 180 days from the beginning of your exam timeframe to take the exam. These dates will be reflected in your exam application acknowledgement e-mail.
  • If you apply late in your sixth year, your timeframe will be shorter than 180 days, ending the last test date prior to your certification's expiration. There will be no testing between Dec. 21-31, 2013. 

The Practice-Focused Component

You have choices if you plan to take the PANRE. While 60% of the generalist exam will cover the same content as always, the remaining 40% can be directed towards more generalist questions in one of three areas:

  • Adult medicine
  • Surgery
  • Primary care

This option gives PAs the opportunity to focus more of the exam on their general area of practice - or continue with "business as usual" by choosing the "primary care" option.

The PANRE will still be a generalist exam, you will just have the option of having more generalist questions in one of the areas listed above. No matter which option you choose, the content blueprint remains the same because it is still a generalist exam.

As always, each exam will be equated for difficulty, so no matter which version you take, your exam will be no harder or easier statistically speaking. The exam will still be scored as a single exam, and you will still receive a single score. In fact, your score report will not even show whether you chose to focus your exam in adult medicine, surgery or primary care. When you pass, you will receive the same credential as always. This is not a vehicle for specialty recognition, just a way to better align the general certification exam with your area of practice.

Questions about the practice-focused PANRE? Find answers to frequently asked questions.

Pearson VUE testing centers are located throughout the U.S. and other select countries. Visit to schedule your exam date and for directions to testing centers in your area.

To view a tutorial of PANRE, go to

When preparing for PANRE, you will want to familiarize yourself with the content blueprint. Want to see what the PANRE is like and focus your exam preparation? Check out the Practice Exams

Review Courses

Looking for a review course to better prepare for the PANCE or PANRE? AAPA has compiled a calendar of upcoming review courses for PANCE and PANRE. Follow the link below to find an upcoming course in your area.

Review Course Calendar

All Review Courses have been reviewed by AAPA, cover the NCCPA Content Blueprint, and are approved for AAPA Category 1 CME credit.